Striving to place students on pathways to success, in our intensive year-long programming, students receive academic instruction leading to GED attainment and/or advanced education, construction training, industry credentialing, leadership development, service-learning, case management and counseling, life skills training, mentoring, and post-program support.
Our model is based on proven youth and workforce development strategies. We conduct ongoing research and collaborate extensively to ensure we continuously provide students with experiences that will truly help them excel.
- Individualized Learning: We meet students where they are while offering opportunities to advance toward self-identified goals.
- Accountability: Students create Individual Development Plans (IDPs) that outline their personal and professional objectives and are expected to remain accountable for their fulfillment.
- Healthy Relationships: Students learn to develop healthy relationships with their peers, staff, families, and the overall community.
- Leadership Training: In the belief that every young person has the capacity to be a leader, we provide students with extensive informal and formal opportunities to cultivate their leadership skills.
- Social-Emotional Support: YBN retains committed case managers and partnerships with social and health service agencies that provide students with the additional supports needed to feel empowered and equipped to continually achieve.
- Work Readiness: Through workshops, guest speakers, conferences, and on-site construction skill development, students learn how to prepare for in-demand careers.
YBN is affiliated with YouthBuild USA, founded by Dorothy Stoneman in 1978 to help disadvantaged youth in East Harlem. YouthBuild Newark’s program is based upon the national YouthBuild model, which has received bi-partisan political support since its inception.